Penang World Music Festival 2012


Music festivals are something that I've always liked to attend even though I've only had the opportunity to attend a few. So, when I heard that there was going to be a World Music Festival right here in Penang, I was super excited. However, upon hearing the price of the tickets, I was a bit upset as I thought it was a bit expensive for me and I almost gave up on attending the festival.

However, as luck would have it, Trish's boss got hold of a few tickets and gave it to her and she graciously asked my sis and I whether we wanted to go. I immediately said yes! =)


We only went for the first day instead of the three days but that one day was enough to keep me happy. Hopefully, the next time, I'll get to go for all three days.

The crowd when we arrived
So, the whole gang for Friday night was Trish, her friend, Raghu, sis and I. We arrived there around 7 plus and the first act after the CM's speech was already on. It was a bhangra group. I thought the stage set-up was quite good as they had set-up two stage side-by-side which enabled one group to set up their instruments while waiting for the other group to perform their set. This also helped to reduced the audiences waiting period.



The next act was a local act from Negeri Sembilan called Rentak Balai. They had an interesting sound with people dancing in traditional costumes .I never knew NS had music like that. It actually reminded me more of Sarawak and Sabah. So, that was something new that I learned from the festival.


Rentak Balai from Negeri Sembilan
After Rentak Balai was the Phong Nguyen Ensemble from Vietnam. Phong Nguyen is a renowned ethnomusicologist from Vietnam and he has even received an award from the former President of the United States, Bill Clinton. They played a variety of folk and traditional Vietnamese songs from the north right up to the south. They also treated the audience to music from a variety of bamboo instruments. It was interesting to listen to the different sounds but after a while, it got a bit boring as the music was really slow and it started to sound a bit repetitive.

Phong Nguyen Ensemble
 The next act was from New Zealand, Will Crummer and the Rarotongans. It was a family of musicians from the island of Rarotongan. They had a more Hawaian/Tahitian feel to their music. One interesting fact that I learned from all the musical acts is that in almost all their sets, they had a song about a girl or a guy falling in love and wating for their loved ones to come back. There was at least one song with that message in every performance!



Following the New Zealand act was the musical act from Belgium called the Griff Trio. Surprisingly, this trio played bagpipes. I found that surprising as I always associated bagpipes to the Scottish. However, this Belgium trio further proved me wrong by clarifying that bagpipes actually came from India!! And it is made out of goat skin! For me, even though they had interesting facts to tell us, I found them a bit boring as their music started to become repetitive as well. Except for the last part where they got everyone to sing a song called "How many goats will be left?" Yup, I'm not kidding, that was the song and it had a very addictive tune that will make you remember it for a long time to come. =D



After the Belgium trio, it was the duo from Australia called Wild Marmalade. I was fascinated with this group. With only a didgeridoo and a drum set, they somehow manage to achieve the sound of a full band! It was interesting to see someone playing the didgeridoo live and for him to be able to make several different sounds on it was remarkable! It looks like he's just blowing into it but the sounds that come out of it was great! Interesting fact 2: I heard somewhere that women in Australia are not allowed to play the didgeridoo because it will affect their fertility!





The next act was an act that my sis and I were looking forward to, the Aseana Percussion Unit from KL. The last I heard them play was during New Year's Eve at Straits Quay so, I was looking forward to them as I think APU is one of the groups that truly showcase what good musicians Malaysians can be. Also, these people are friends of my dad so of course, I had to show them my support as well. =)

Aseana Percussion Unit
Unfortunately, we had to leave halfway through their performance as Raghu had to go home and Trish was also already bored halfway through the whole night. We also missed the last act, The Fix comprising of musicians from Malaysia and USA.

Nevertheless, I had a great night! Having the opportunity to be exposed to the music from various countries without even having to leave the comfort of my island and country is a blessing. Learning interesting new musical facts about one's own country and of others is also something that I will always value.


Raghu, me (*colgatesmile*) and Trish

Sis and I
The next music festival that I am looking forward to is The Penang International Jazz Festival and I can't wait for it! =D

Till the next post,

Pa-alam!!


*Pictures from google images and from personal collection*

Comments

Popular Posts