Bizarre Foods with me!

Has anyone watched Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmerns on Discovery Travel and Living? If you have, you can probably guess what this post is going to be about. This show is the kinda of show where you cringe everything you watch it and yet, you still watch it everytime it is on air. The kind of food he eats are just revolting at times but it truly is fascinating to see how different parts of the world enjoy their own unique delicacies and dishes. It's a classic example of the famous saying "one man's meat, is another man's poison!".

Mum has been wanting to try Thailand's most famous snacks, that is fried insects such as crickets, grasshoppers and maggots, just for the fun of it and just for experience. This feeling of wanting to try came about after countless of documentaries and TV shows of people saying that it is nice and tastes just like fried anchovies/ikan bilis.



So, a couple of weeks back, Trish went to Hatyaai, Thailand for a short holiday and promised to bring back some of Thailand's most famous and common snack back with her. She was super excited about us trying it and mum and I made the whole gang at AGC try it out. I told them that in order to be officially part of the AGC gang, they each had to try one. Lol!


To start it off, mum tried a grasshopper first. First of all, let me tell you, the maggots looked really disgusting and no one dared to try it. Trish even chose the really fat, juicy ones too so that made it worse! Mum's verdict of the grasshopper? Well, it wasn't like ikan bilis at all but it was okay. haha.. I cheated a bit by trying a small one and that too with some white rice. My verdict? Well, it had a weird taste to it and I felt as though I had a leg or two stuck in my throat but that is just me being paranoid for sure. =)


James, a customer/friend at the shop ate one of the biggest grasshopper in the pile and he didn't really have anything to say about it. I guess you just have to taste it to understand it. Trish also gave in and ate a small one, unfortunately for her, she had food poisoning the very next day! Fortunately for the rest of us, we were fine and as healthy as ever. =)

I never thought I would actually try it but once in a while, we've got to experience life a little bit and at least next time, I can tell people that I've tried a fried grasshopper before. =) Personally, I think eating it there in Thailand, just after it is freshly fried, would probably taste better. Who knows, the next time if do visit Thailand, I may just try it again! =)

Signing off for now,

pa-alam!

Comments

Popular Posts