Dear John - Book vs Movie

*There may be spoilers for those who have not read the book or watched the movie!


I've been on a Nicholas Sparks addiction lately. Since receiving his books as a birthday present, I've been reading books non-stop for the past month. I think in the last few weeks, I've read 4 books, an average of one book per week! =)

I've long been a fan of Nicholas Sparks and I'm proud to say I've read almost all of his books. I only have about two more books to complete the whole list!! =) The last book I read was Dear John and as I was halfway through the book, I decided I wanted to watch the movie too. Thanks to Serene, I managed to watch the movie!


So here's my review of both the book and movie. First of all, the book and the movie are really different! I kinda expected it coz I understand it cannot be exactly the same as the book. I would say that both the movie and the book had its ups and downs! I sort of prefer the book but maybe it is because I read the book before watching the movie.



The movie had more letters as compared to the book which is a plus point. =) In the book, we only get to read two of Savannah's letters. The ending was also different. In the movie, it was a cliffhanger but it gave the impression that they ended up together in the end since in the movie, her husband Tim dies. In the book, John decides to give up his love for Savannah and he sells his dad's coin collection so that he can help save Tim and give Savannah the happiness she deserves because that is what love is all about. In the book, the ending is more heartfelt as it tells of how two people may be perfect for each other and love each other wholeheartedly but sometimes, fate is such that they are not meant to be together.


Channing Tatum as John Tyree

The nice thing about knowing who the actors are in the movie is that it helps put a face to the characters in the book. It also helps that Channing Tatum is cute and has a great body! =)

Amanda Seyfried as Savannah Lynn Curtis

Overall, I enjoyed the book and the movie as well. I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to romantic movies/comedies and romance novels, so it's not a surprise that I enjoyed it! Lol! =)

So, if you're a romantic like me, I'm pretty sure you'll like the movie better. But if you prefer reading, go ahead because it's a nice book too. =)

Signing off for now,

Pa-alam!!

Comments

Popular Posts