Crossroads

Come this May, I will officially be getting my diploma in public relations and though I am happy that I am finishing it but worries about what to do after that has made me uncertain about the future. For a TARCian, the natural course upon completing their diploma is to continue on with their Advance Diploma for two years. Then, after the two years of advance diploma, there will be a 3 month semester in UK before you are able to get your degree.

Considering the affordable fees and the fact that for my course, they are finally offering the advance diploma in Penang (advance was only offered in KL before) it would be natural for me to continue on with it. However, the 3 month stint in UK is the problem that many of my coursemates and I are facing. The 3 months there would cost us approximately RM30 000!! And, there are no scholarships offered for that 3 months in UK so, for many of us, that poses a big problem.

Because of this, I am feeling a bit apprehensive about this new year because once again, I am faced with another big decision that will affect my path in the future. So, for the past few months, I have been looking at different colleges and universities to see if there are other alternatives for me. So far, to my knowledge, it seems as though my choices are quite limited. If possible, I would like to continue my studies in Penang as expenses would be much cheaper for me and undoubtedly, more comfortable. But if I do have to leave the comforts of my own home, I am not really sure how I feel about that.

I feel as though I need to come out of my shell as I am way too comfortable where I am now. In order for me to excel in this field I am in, I have to be more confident and out going, and so far, I feel like I lack that confidence that is needed. One thing for sure though, I would like to get my degree before I start working as I have seen many cases where people work upon finishing their diploma and then regret not having a degree or lose sight of their aim to get a degree.

I also have the choice of taking my advance without doing the 3 months in UK but what is the point of just having an advance right? It's the case of so close yet so far! And to many people, they consider an advanced diploma as a DIPLOMA even though it is equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree. If only that 3 months stint could be done right here in Malaysia!

So, for now, I am at a crossroad. I made a decision last year to come up with an answer to my dilemma by december 2009 and even though it's alredy 7 January 2010, I have not come up with an answer. Each day brings me a step closer to the end of my diploma and next week is already the start of my 5th semester examinations! I only have a few more months to decide!

I need an answer and I need it soon but I know that the final decision rests in my hands. I really pray and hope that I am able to solve this dilemma soon. If you people reading this have any advice for me, please do drop a line or two alright? I need all the advice I can get!

Thanks for reading! Pa-alam! =)

Comments

Wei Wen Ou said…
Hmmmz~ really such a confusing stuff for all tarcian! but for me, with my own opinion.. I think u should leave penang and go somewhere else and get some exposure! Getting out from your own comfort zone will make u learn much more things and skilled to handle problems. Trust me, that u will experienced more once u leave penang!
Serene said…
Hi! ^^

well, I was thinking like you...
I want to take my degree here in penang...
since I go home for meals, and don't have to worry about the rent
not to mention, since I cant get a scholarship with my very little CGPA, Penang is probably my only alternative to cut down on the expense
I know right about the UK degree issue..
you pay 30k just for 1 miserable paper! and not to mention the expenses you have to pay for the 3months there...
things ain't cheap there, no...

So far, I cant find any college better than KDU for degree
but the paper is USM's so I'm pretty sceptical about paying 30k for a USM degree... LOL! *picky me*

Weiwen is right about leaving the comfort zone but is the CASH i'm worry about... >.<"

so, I'm practically in dillema as you are...

LOL! rant it all out yet still didn't give you an answer... sorry...

But, i think with your CGPA, try going to Uni of California where they can offer you scholarship and they are pretty well-known for mass com courses there... ^^
but still, the expenses comes to count... =)
Vayshna said…
Wenou : Thanks for the advice.. Ya i know that if i leave it will give me more exposure but like what serene said, i have to think of expenses as well...hmm..i have to really see my choices lah but thanks for the advice.. =)

Serene: Looks like we're really in the same boat! haha...and yup, i thought about KDU as well and since they got the USM course, i am considering it.. as for the uni of california, i'll check it out. Thanks.. hopefully we'll be able to reach a decision soon.. =)
Wei Wen Ou said…
Welcome vayshna and here is my words for you and serene =)
For me if your chosen the USM course that offered in KDU, it sound nice but not really worth~ It cost u around 30K as well, and one thing u must bring to your consideration, its only a government degree cert... so if you exchange the 30K with the TARC and UK course, it much more worth it. RM30K for UK is including everything, minum, makan, main, terbang, tinggal, everything but of cause not shopping. One more good news is the UK pound exchange rate now is keep falling, 5 years back, 1 pound = RM7, now 1 pound = RM5.5 and will keep on falling instead of going up. Everything is worth. Furthermore, you have a very good result for you, so for sure your can get scholorship as well. But al of these is my own opinion lah, everything still you yourself making your own decision. As i'm already chosen PR course, I should gain as much exposure as posible instead of being afraid to go out. Living expensens is always the biggest problem for most tarcians, so we must spend the money on something worth. Stop here and All the best to you and serene~ i think We should find one day to discuss about this after exam =)
Serene said…
weiwen : 30k include tuition fees and accommodation only
my friend from KL Campus who is going after this term say wan
Vayshna said…
Hey serene, maybe you can try applying for the Star scholarship fund or something coz they are offering the scholarship for the KDU/USM course. I may be applying for it as well. =) If you end up going to KDU, maybe we can study together! haha.. =)

Popular Posts