Pen-pals

When i was younger and just had my first email account created, I had no friends to send any email too. So, I did what most people did back then, I searched for young pen-pals to send emails to. With the help of my sister, I went to websites searching for people who were also looking for pen-pals.

I did come across a few who shared the same interest as me and I sent them emails asking if they wanted to be my friend. Whenever I got a reply, I was so excited as the people who replied were from overseas! I had friends from Cartagena -Spain and Amerika!

I manage to keep in contact with them for a few years and I even used to write snail mails to them. They would send me pictures and I would send back. I used to imagine what it would be like if they ever came to Malaysia and I would be their tour guide, bringing them around and introducing to them all the wonderful places in Penang. That never happened of course, but just the joy of receiving letters from them was enough for me.

Over the years though, we somehow lost contact as emails to each other became infrequent and finally we resorted to sending forwarded emails to each other. However, things changed when one day, through the help of Facebook, I manage to reconnect with them again! I even sent emails to them seeing if they would reply and just to know whether they still remembered me.

One day, I received an email from one of my pen-pal's grandma telling me that my friend/penpal, Kayce, joined the army in US and is now working for them. And that is why, she hasn't been able to reply the email i sent. Since then, I've been getting frequent updates from her mee maw/grandma about how she's been doing.

I decided to write this post because just about half hour ago, i received a post from Kayce's mee maw on my Facebook wall, telling me that she just got married on October 10! And that, she will be leaving for Afghanistan on November 18th for 400 days!! Somehow, the news about her leaving really struck me hard. Even though we haven't met each other face to face and haven't emailed each other for quite awhile, but I've known her for quite a long time. I never thought that I would actually have a friend working for the army and going to Afghanistan but now I have one and it somehow changes my view about all the soldiers going there. I feel for her family as I know how worried they would be for her, even I feel woried for her!!

She has always been interested in serving her country and now she finally gets to do her part for her country. Her grandma wrote on my wall asking me to include Kayce in my prayers, to pray for her safety. There is no doubt I would do that and I'm sure she will be safe as I know God will be watching over her.

So, to Kayce, Congratulations on your marriage and may you be safe during your stay in Afghanistan. We will be praying for you and awaiting your safe return!! =)

Comments

Popular Posts